Month: January, 2017
Anniversary gifts are tricky. The occasion is so laden with meaning and expectations that many people get cold feet when it comes to picking something that stands for commitment, love and dedication.
Traditionally speaking the first anniversary gift calls for the gift of “paper”.
At least in the US!
I know this is a guideline for family and friends. But it can also apply to SOs
And this is why I always suggest a couple of sizzling boudoir clicks as the sexy gift that will keep on giving.
Well…it’s paper right?
If you are on the fence about making intimate photography a part of your first anniversary celebration, I will give you two reasons that will make a lot of sense.
- People get so excited when they tie the knot or enter into a serious relationship. The year after the “I Do” is often known as the honeymoon phase. But what they forget is the fact that living together or being more “available” to each other can often strip the mystery and the anticipation from the union. It is over the first year that the disillusionments become the most pronounced. That people travel the road from infatuation to mature affection and are still stuck in the middle. A boudoir shoot and its clicks is the best possible way to bring excitement back into the setting. To tease and titillate and revisit the courtship.
- The gift of intimate photography is almost like a renewal of the vows. Not many women are fully comfortable with deliberate and seductive exposure for the purpose of documentation. Even if you sleep in the same bed and there are no secrets between you and your man, shooting some boudoir images for his eyes is a declaration of your trust in him and the longevity of the relationship. Believe me; he will appreciate your thoughtful gesture from the bottom of his heart.
Okay now that we have the validity of the gift out of the way, let’s look at some tips to personalize your first anniversary boudoir session for images that he will not forget in a hurry.
- Remind him that you are God’s gift. This one is very popular. It is the classic nudie with a red ribbon bow either at the throat or round the middle for that festive and celebratory appeal. If you aren’t comfortable baring it all, don a nice skimpy negligee. That works too.
- The inclusion of his essence. What’s your man’s dressing style? Is he more into vests? Does he do the oversized male robes? Filch a garment from his wardrobe and present yourself in this obviously, essentially male item of clothing. It is a tribute to his presence in your life and always melts the heart.
- Hint at what’s to come. How do you want to wrap up your anniversary night? Yes…most ladies have just that in mind. It is a lovely and exciting touch to tantalize your guy with the promise of a “grand finale” to top the experience, appropriately captured in sizzling photographs.
Long story short nothing can beat the impact boudoir shots bring to your first anniversary gift.
Come on – try it out.
You can thank me later.
How to hire a boudoir photographer you are comfortable with?
Wow, now that’s a question that very few clients ask – especially if they are lending themselves to this art form for the first time!
Most people focus on reflection and introspection. They try to find the right reasons to enter a studio and go through the transformation. For some it is a token of love and some take it to be the clarion call of boldness and empowerment.
Some just want to get treated like a diva because hey life takes pampering right?
But once they are secure in their minds about the “why”, the logistics crowd in. They realize that they have to strip down – both their clothes and their inhibitions for someone else. And the penny really drops fair and square that boudoir photography may be the trend of the season but the actual experience is anything but frivolous.
And we are not comfortable with that kind of intensity.
So here are some top tips from a shutterbug who has been in the game for well over one and a half decade to all the prospective intimate photography aficionados contemplating the plunge.
You, yes you, need to foster preferably a deep bond and essentially respect and liking for your lens woman. And everything hinges on who you hire.
Don’t Just Love the Art. Love the Artist Too.
Intimate art is live and dynamic and personal. You can buy a masterpiece from a gallery and think nothing about the personality and soul of the painter. It doesn’t really matter. You are being handed the manifestation of the creative process and if the end result pleases you – well you can enjoy it for as long as you want.
But in the instance of boudoir you are an intrinsic part of the creative undertaking. So the glamorous shots that you see adorning websites may not translate into reality where you are concerned if you don’t love the artist who is responsible.
In short, don’t fixate on a photographer without the face-to-face consultation. An adept professional you really like working with is a better option than a maestro who makes you uneasy. Start right and the rest will be in your favor too.
Eat the Frog.
This one is a classic productivity advice and it also applies to your boudoir photography consultation. When you are engaged in conversation with your photographer, lay your cards on the table right away. Give the meeting 15 minutes and push yourself to share your fantasies with the person. Do you want a BDSM angle in your session? Eat that frog and reveal the request. If you can’t, if you feel shy or hesitant…then you are just not vibing with the personality of your lens woman. Keep looking for alternatives.
Get on Social.
Collaborating with your photographer is the best way to know her as an individual and an artist. Take time to invite her to a Pinterest private board and build a vision for the session together. The small decisions around the décor, the clothing, the make-up and the ambience will show you loud and clear how the actual shoot will go down.
Can’t agree on anything in virtual? Chances are the shoot will also turn into a setting for covert power play. Run for the hills…you don’t want to mess your special day with the negativity.
I can lecture you till the cows come home on how to hire a boudoir photographer you are comfortable with. But at the end of the day your intuition plays an important role. When your gut says someone is right – go for it. Rationale will only get you so far.
My mind. My Body. My Freedom. Women’s Rights Are HuMan Rights and I will not give in and I will not give up.
Over the last couple months I’ve been doing some much needed personal work. It’s been way too long since I’ve really dug a little deeper into the special place that just wants to create art for myself. Not for social media, not for my clients, not for promotion, just me.
Since dance was my first love, I have always wanted to come back and introduce it to my second love. I think I owe it that much. I don’t know why the I waited so long to explore for dance photography, but I guess the moment is now, so you will be seeing lots of new fresh work. Yay!! I know I’m sure you love seeing all the sexy ladies on my posts, but if you are anything like me, you’ll think these images are just as sexy. I mean what could be sexier than a beautiful strong women, moving her body through the air with so much grace you can’t believe it’s possible.
Dance is a conversation about body and soul and experiencing a great dancer’s agility, form, and emotion feels like my hearts on fire, burning with passion for every breath I take.
I think Rumi describes it best to me
Dancing is not just getting up painlessly,
like a leaf
blow on the wind;
dancing is where you tear your heart out
and rise out of your body
to hang suspended between two worlds.
Dear you, Make peace with the woman in the mirror and watch the reflection change.