Month: June, 2016
It’s that time of year again! Weddings, weddings, and more wedding. It’s been a busy few months shooting all my June and July brides and I know they are eagerly awaiting the moment where they finally get share their very special gift with their husband to be.
As you can imagine a lot of brides don’t want to share their sexy bridal boudoir photos with the world, so I often don’t get to show of some of my favorite images, which can be pretty sad, to be totally honest. But let’s be clear, I totally understand and respect my clients decision. Above all boudoir los angeles is an exclusive studio and my clients privacy is number numero uno. I often hope that maybe someday they will give me the ability to post them, but I have to accept that sometimes of the beautiful images I just create will only be seen by a few eyes. And so it is….
So around this time I like to do a little recap of some of my favorite and best bridal boudoir sessions I did this year. These are the amazing generous clients that are willing to share their beautiful bridal boudoir images in the name of art! I am forever grateful!
I am used to being thanked by brides.
But the other day something rather strange and touching happened.
I got an email from a man.
Before you start making conjectures, let me clear the air a bit.
Nathan (name mentioned with permission), is the proud and lucky husband of one of my bridal boudoir ladies. He told me that the first thing on his mind when he got home from the honeymoon is to contact the woman who had transformed his wife and that it was a job superbly done.
I Remember Emily……
Because she was very hesitant about stepping in front of the camera. More so than usual! She had undergone an appendicitis operation and even though the scarring was minimal, she hadn’t been able to shed what she called ‘the post op weight’ in time for the wedding. She kept saying, ‘Should I be doing this? My finance is a professional model and he is really ripped and in shape! I don’t want to end up looking foolish.”
And I kept iterating the mantra I know stills every jittery boudoir heart.
“You look amazing darling. Trust me. Your husband is a lucky man.”
By the time the shoot ended, Emily was in a much better place about her insecurities. Her raw shots had blown her away. I had purposely chosen a very vintage and classy look for the entire session to complement her innate grace and charm. The end result in low lighting and black and white was EPIC!
Before leaving, she handed me her number and promised me referrals.
It was a good day!
But Nathan’s Take Gave Me a Whole New Perspective:
I am sure most of you know by now that bridal boudoir makes for a great pre-honeymoon or wedding night gift. And why shouldn’t it be? Every man wants to drown in the lust meets love fantasy that a well done intimate photography session weaves. It is the perfect start to exploring and rediscovering each other post the matrimonial vows.
But I had never really dug deeper.
According to Nathan, the Emily that stepped out of my studio was a changed woman. He had expected to battle a lot of her consciousness around her increased weight and the supposed loss of her proportionate figure.
But the feisty woman who took him on the most enthralling and satisfying week long Hawaiian sojourn he could have ever hoped for had no trace of diffidence. She was an unapologetic nymph at complete peace with her body. And she made him fall in love with her again and again.
Gift Your Husband the Real You:
Choose to get an intimate bridal photography session done, you go beyond revealing your sexy side to your life partner. Under the skillful treatment of your boudoir photographer you slowly set aside your inhibitions, your fears, your apprehensions around who you are and what you mean to your significant other. And replace the restrictions with confidence, poise and a zest for life.
What your husband gets is a sneak peek into the treasures that await him on the honeymoon and an empowered woman who is more than happy to guide him to the delights.
That kind of gift makes memories for a lifetime
Summer has arrived and if you are anything like me summer seems to last as long as my non-existent tan lines. Kinda there one day and gone the next.
So this year I’m going to be a much better planner, so I don’t have to be in the constant state of, “what should we do this weekend”. This usually happens on Saturday and by then of course everyone already has plans, and I end up working the weekend away.
And you can find many more fun things do Here
I’ve also compiled a list of 10 summer bucket list items that will definitely help make your summer the best summer ever!
2. Get your ass to a waterfall
3. Float in the ocean (or the lake, or the kiddie pool in the backyard, whatever)
4. Hang out naked when the temperature hits 90 degrees
5. Have your friends over for fancy cocktails and vintage
boardgames (Candy Land 4 life!).
6. Lay under the stars with your best friend. Discuss the meaning of life.
7. Go to a foodie festival and try one of everything. Don’t feel bad about it.
8. Have a water balloon fight. Or maybe…become a human water balloon
9. Have a picnic dinner at sunset.
10. Write a love letter to someone and decorate the envelope.
I hope this helps you make the best of the sunshine, long days and breezy nights. Don’t forget to try news things, take chances and make every moment count!
Trying times do not hit us with fair warning. They are often like tropical summer storm that comes from nowhere, overwhelm the horizon and leave us drenched, and looking for shelter. And sometimes when darkness seems to be all around us, it can be hard to stay positive. We can’t attend a boot camp to prepare for the occasion. And there is no training to guide us through the labyrinth. Most importantly, if we believe that only the ‘tough’ can surmount challenges and for some reason ‘tough’ isn’t the adjective we apply to ourselves – right out of the gate we lose any chance of coming out on top.
This is the reason why I recommend greeting the rough patches with a saucy smile and some dazzling snaps!
How Boudoir Shoots Are Naturally Built to Help You Ace Challenges:
Think back to the depression and despondency of having lost a relationship. Or a career goal! Self-confidence is at an all-time low. Self-care is all but a lost priority. And the body image tanks.
This is when an intimate session can work its magic. It offers much needed psychological succor and initiates physiological changes. In case that sounds too far-fetched, here is the break down.
- It is a proven fact that our brain is wildly capable of exaggerating. And this is why most trying times end up being more challenging. We complicate circumstances with fears that will never come to pass. Our biggest worries literally do not exist. So when you take to the boudoir studio and are waiting for that first click of the camera, something similar goes on in your head. The internal dialogue castigates you for the sheer stupidity of choosing to expose yourself in ‘unflattering’ ways. You are certain that even the photographer’s skill will not be able to salvage the situation.
But fast forward just ten minutes and you are posing like a superstar. You realize that your apprehensions had no feet. And that the reality is much better than your bleak mind chatter. You carry this basic mindset shift with you and it bleeds into other areas of your life. The boudoir womb can wrought transformations! Ask me…I am witness.
- There is no problem in the world that pampering and self-love can’t solve. This is the reason why spa treatments and retreats work so well when you are anxious and tense. Well, a boudoir session epitomizes both these qualities. You work on yourself to appear your best in the photos at a time when you wouldn’t have otherwise. You give it the much needed exercise and massages. You are gentle with your skin. And once the shoot is underway, the champagne flows and you are the center of attention. These factors, together with the shocking fact that you look amazing in your raw clicks, influence you positively. You leave empowered! And with a sense of wellbeing that is renewed each time you flip through the images.
- Power poses do exist. There is a TEDTalk by Amy Cuddy that elaborates how your brain increases the secretion of domination and ‘feel good’ hormones when you adopt a fearless stance with squared shoulders and the head held high. No intimate photographer worth his salt will ever inhibit you with body shaming guidance. Boudoir poses are always open and free and strong – a beautiful celebration of femininity and individuality. The surge of spirit you feel is real and it lasts. Mess not with a woman who has just had a boudoir session. She will show you your place without batting an eyelid!
An intimate shoot done the right way is the best defense against life. When the cookie doesn’t crumble the way you want, add some whipped cream and cherries and accept the camera’s invitation to be seduced.
It’s simple, elemental and effective!
Here are three honest, sustainable, and modern lingerie brands that are committed to making this world a better place. Not only are they supporting safe and fair working conditions, they are making lingerie with integrity. Cosabella, Hanky Panky, and Stella Mccartney are the leaders in the lingerie industry for educating and promoting the importance of eco fashion.
We should be educated just as much as the food we put in our mouth to the clothes we put on our body! The more I learn about the harmful materials china and so many other countries are using, the more I understand how important it is to invest in organic materials, sourced ethically, free from exploitation and discrimination and not made with harmful dies. Our skin is our biggest organ, and if you don’t think those cheap vegan leathers, plastics, toxic fibers and fabrics aren’t affecting your overall health, well then, you need to think again. Let’s be aware, and conscience, and go out and educate ourselves and our friends on the harmful implications of wearing cheap clothing because what you don’t know can hurt you.
Many clothes from china have formaldehyde, which keeps clothes from wrinkling and is extremely harmful. Another commonly used clothing or textile factory chemical is nonylphenol ethoxylate (NPE). Known as endocrine disruptors, like BPA. These toxins are dumped in waterways, killing a lot of fish and wild life. There are negatively impacting wildlife, but there are no restrictions where the clothing and textile factories are located in China and Southeast Asia.
You can start with avoiding synthetic materials such as Rayon, Nylon, Polyester, Acrylic, Acetate or Triacetate as much as possible. Also avoid no-iron, wrinkle free and preshrunk items. To make make a long story short, try to stay in the 100% pure cotton zone, and hemp is always a great option too.
These eco chic boudoir shots were taken at Riviera Hotel in Palm Springs